Happy Wednesday!!! It’s back to school time! Enter the world of schedules, routines, and organization. As many of you are getting into the new school year routine, here are a few things you can do to be sure that your legal/financial house is in order:
1. Selecting Guardians for Minor Children: Yes, I know this is something many hate to think about. However, it is one of the most important decisions you will make. You already plan everything else, why not plan for what’s most important? Additionally, don’t you want to have the final say v. the courts?
2. Beneficiary Review: Be sure that your minor children are not listed on any of your policies! Trust based planning is the best way to ensure that minors receive their inheritance in a responsible manner. If it has been a while since you have reviewed your beneficiary designations be sure to take a look. This is especially important if there have been any important life changes within the family.
3. Estate Plan Review: births, deaths, marriages, divorce, or other life-changing events prompt an estate plan review. Be sure that your current plan best suits your needs and that all life changes are properly reflected in your plan.
4. Advanced Directives: Many times people will create their Medical Proxy or Living Will and they never bother to give a copy to their doctor. Be sure that your medical group has the latest copy of your Advanced Medical Directives. Another tip, make a photocopy and leave it in your glovebox. Accidents tend to happen most in vehicles!
5. Insurance Review: This includes life insurance, long-term care insurance, automobile, and property and casualty insurance. I suggest my clients shop all of their policies every 3-5 years and check to see that they’re adequately covered and that their insurance coverage meets their family’s needs. Please contact us if you need suggestions for insurance agents.
Complete these 5 tasks and breathe easy that your plan is up to date. If it’s time for a review or you want to make sure that your plan is properly up to speed, be sure to contact us today. We also encourage you to reach out to us with your general financial/legal inquiries. If we cannot provide a specific service we are happy to refer you to one of our other trusted advisers that can get the job done.
Until next time,